Take charge advice for work and play
Idgie,
Last week, my boss, Tom, took a draft of my work, changed a few words, and passed it off as his own. This isn't the first time this has happened. What should I do?
--Steamed
Dear Steamed,
It sucks to work hard on something to see the credit go to someone else. But before you start delivering your work via an Intellectual Property lawyer, try to determine if Tom's changes added value. If you can objectively see the improvements, then compliment him on them in front of others. By saying, "I like what you did with the formatting on cell A12, Tom. It really made our analysis pop." This gives you the opportunity to show him how give compliments publicly and share credit for the analysis.
You can also try widening the distribution list when you email your work products. Adding a co-worker who could review your work or even his superior will make it harder for Tom to take full credit.
More important for the bigger picture is letting other people know what you are working on early and often. It is hard to toot your own horn sometimes, but you don't have to do a happy dance every time you get a piece of code to work (though, I've been known to do this...). You should always be able to give a two-sentence description of what you are working on and how it impacts the team's work, the bottom line, or improves processes to spit out to an acquaintance in the break room or run into the CEO in the elevator. "Yeah, I'm working on a presentation that highlights our progress to our client. Hopefully, this will lead to a discussion about what else we can do for her."
Good luck!
Idgie
Idgie--
HELP! I have a big presentation due Monday, but I have to go to 2 baby birthday parties for kids in my kid's nursery school and we are hosting a dinner party this weekend! How am I going to get it all done??
--Quadruple booked
Dear Quad,
Deep breath. Repeat after me: "I do not have to do everything." For example, do you really HAVE to go to 2 baby birthday parties? Unless they are for very close friends/relatives, the guest of honor likely won't notice if you are there or not. Send your significant other and kid(s) off to the parties on their own and use the peace and quiet to make some serious headway on your presentation. If you are lucky, they'll bring you back a cupcake.
As for the dinner party, focus on good food that can be prepped beforehand and thrown together just prior to dinner. A favorite easy appetizer of mine is bruchetta--dice 5-6 roma tomatoes with the insides scraped out in a big bowl. Add a teaspoon of minced garlic, a generous pinch of salt, and plenty of fresh chopped basil. Mix 2 parts olive oil to one part balsamic vinegar and pour over the tomato mixture. Spread this on top of a sliced baguette.
Mmm...cupcakes,
Idgie
Have a question about work or play? Email askidgie@gmail.com
Dear Idgie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for changing the names to protect the innocent :) You gave objective advice. My work was recently acknowledged and as a result, I was given more of the same type of work to do. That's a chance you have to take when producing above average analysis.
Keep up the good work!
I'm glad to hear it is working out for you!
ReplyDeleteKeeping others appraised about the value you bring to the table without sounding like a jerk is one of the hardest, but most essential, work place skills.