Take charge advice for work and play
Idgie,
Every Saturday night is date night with my SO. Lately, we've fallen into a rut where we don't even leave the house--take out and maybe a rented movie. What else can we do?
--Sick of cold chinese food
Sick--
Nothing beats a date night where you get out and do something out of your comfort zone. Recent studies indicate that the more new experiences you have with your partner, the better both parties rate the relationship. So, get out of the house and get moving! Laser tag is a personal favorite. Or, take in an art gallery followed by a sports game. Go to a new restaurant or take a cooking class. Go rock climbing or kayaking. Explore a new part of town. Go to a play or improv comedy show. Basically, do the opposite of what you usually do and create some new memories together!
Yours,
Idgie
Dear Idgie,
I look young for my age. I have been in the workforce for about 10 years, but look like I could be right out of college. No one takes me seriously at work. What can I do?
--Baby faced
Baby faced,
Oh, the curse of the eternally young! Unless you are in acting or modeling, looking young at the office can actively work against you.
First, you need to evaluate how you are presenting yourself at work. Are your clothes super trendy? Are they revealing or tight? Do they fit awkwardly? Do you over accessorize or wear too little make-up? Do you text, instant message, surf the web, and / or take personal phone calls at your desk? Any of these things could give the impression that you are younger than you are and take your job less seriously than others.
Second, make an investment in your wardrobe. Watch "What Not to Wear" to drive home the message that what you wear matters in how other people perceive you. Buy quality that fits--not what size you think you SHOULD be or WILL be or WAS last season. Buy what fits now. Find someone your age who always looks put together and ask where she shops. Forever 21 is great for the weekend or accessories, but not for work. Complete your outfits with a necklace, scarf, or bag (not all 3!) and a little bit of mascara. Check out corporette, for daily postings on work-appropriate clothing.
Finally, square your shoulders, look people in the eye, and don't mince words. Review your emails for weak language before you send them. Remove passive voice and qualifications like "maybe," "possibly," and "could". Replace "I think" and "I feel" with "I recommend." Be confident in your experience.
Yours,
Idgie
Dear Idgie,
It became apparent this weekend that my grown daughter doesn't know her left from her right. I am concerned that this inherited trait (from her father) may be passed to my adorable grandson. Is there any research on this subject? On the same line, I asked her father to touch the inside of my elbow this morning and he repeatedly touched the outside (don't get me started on elbow and shoulder concept, it's another story!) Both my daughter and her father are intelligent, loving individuals, but I am -
Concerned Mother
Concerned--
No need to be too concerned. By the time your grandson is old enough to drive, cars will navigate themselves to their destination, without regard to whether the driver can properly identify north/south or left/right. Cars will also fly. As for your daughter's father, elbows are tricky things. In fact, if you turn your arm the right way, the inside of your elbow is on your outside! Perhaps you should turn your concerns to more perplexing issues, like why does Judge Judy wear a doily and when do you think is too young for boys to get their ears pierced.
Yours,
Idgie
Have a question about work or play? Ask Idgie at askidgie@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment