Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Idgie's Links for the day

History of the three-martini lunch: Did you know that the three-martini lunch was a campaign issue in the Carter/Ford race? Carter criticized tax write-offs of business lunches as screwing over the working class while white collar workers got "three-martini lunches." Ford, however, pointed out that this was merely American multitasking at its best. I'm going to have to go with Ford on this one. Bring back the three-martini lunch!

Bureauratese: In 1977, the head of the now-defunct Civil Aeronautics Board, sent a letter to all of his managers requesting "straightforward, quasi-conversational, humane prose -- as though you are talking to or communicating with real people." I love this letter, however, I find almost 45 years later that little has changed in communication with the public sector. Also to add to his list: "use" instead of "utilize"; utilize sounds like a robot is speaking.

American Idol Alum Justin Guarini is a Dad: I read this as "is dead" and I was about to get terribly upset! Justin and Kelly was, like, the best movie ever!

Palin Birtherism: This whole thing of "Is Sarah really Trig's mom?" makes me stabby. Too many men offering their "expert" opinions on what pregnant women do or should look like. No woman would write this stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Well birthers, you lose: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-birth-certificate-20110427,0,2615804.story

    ReplyDelete