Monday, April 25, 2011

Smart Girls at the Party

You know Amy Poelher from SNL and Parks and Recreation. She's hilarious with a sweet and earnest sense of humor. What you probably don't know about Amy is that she and a few of her girl friends run a website touting how cool it is to be a smart girl. It is called "Smart Girls at the Party" and is a ton of fun! There are short video clips where Amy and her friends interview a pre/teen girl who is doing something awesome. I've seen interviews about robots, chemistry, and politics. These girls are doing amazing things and Smart Girls at the Party are giving them the opportunity to talk about these amazing things. AND each webisode ends with a dance party. As everything in life should.

I wish there was something like this when I was growing up. At least when I was a kid, it was decidedly uncool to be smart. When I was 12, I made a concious decision to get good grades instead of trying to get a boyfriend. It is sad that I felt like I had to make that decision. And that it was one of the most important decisions I made in life. Perhaps girls today still have to make that decision--boys or grades--but with Amy's help, that decision has to look a whole lot easier.

Did anyone else ever choose books over boys?

Which webisode of smart girls is your favorite?

3 comments:

  1. Nope, I studied hard, joined the math club, and told the math geeks they had to date me (one at a time of course). Math geeks apparently do math AND take orders well. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see this conversation happening. Were they cute math geeks?

    I had pen-pal boyfriends and boyfriends who went to other schools and didn't know the extent of my smart-girl social exile. Also, I actively rebelled against the high school social order. I was "Kat" in 10 things I hate about you. Minus Heath Ledger. Never quite got that bad-assed mysterious guy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was high school; boys just aren't that cute in high school. They need college to fill out. That said, they weren't dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete