Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ask Idgie

Take charge advice for work and play every Thursday


Dear Idgie,

I have a problem. I am addicted to reality TV. I keep up with the Kardashians. I was entralled by Bridalplasty. And Wives of Rock. And any show with wedding dresses, cakes, multiple kids, Alaska, or little people. My DVR is full and I can't get off the couch. I haven't seen my friends in weeks and my DH is taking a backseat to Sister Wives. Help!

--Missing baby Mason!

Dear Missing-

Step away from the remote...Put on some sneakers and go for a walk or start a project in your house. Liking reality TV is not a problem in itself. I too was on the edge of my seat to see if Janelle was going to win the dream wedding to go with her rhinoplasty or not. There just need to be limits. My advice is to find the trashiest reality show (or 2) you can, and follow that. Cut the rest of them out. My hope is that your trash quota will be filled with fewer shows and you can find your own reality with the new-found hours in your day.

--Idgie


Dear Idgie,

I am getting mean girled at work. I work in a small office and a coworker refuses to talk directly to me, talks behind my back, and does small petty things just to spite me. For example, she will get the lunch order for the whole office and forget, lose, or mess up my order. As far as I know, I never did anything to her. What should I do?

--Fetch could totally happen

Fetch,

I understand how much it hurts to be treated poorly by another woman. I'm sorry it is happening to you. There is no known cure for a mean girl. You can try to find an ally, someone who sees what is happening to you and can commiserate. Having just one person to talk to at work can make a big difference. You will also be less likely to be bothered by her attempts to goad you. In the mean time, treat her professionally, even with kindness. In time, she may shift her target to someone new or grow out of being mean all together. If it continues to happen and no one at work is stepping in or standing up for you, it sounds like a toxic work environment and you should update your resume.

Good luck!
Idgie


Have a question about work or play? Email askidgie@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment