Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Raising a Feminist Son

I was thrilled the day I found out that my baby was going to be a boy. There was so much to look forward to--pee pee tee pees, holiday sweater vests, t-ball, pop warner football, and, if he goes the Billy Elliot route, ballet recitals! But then it hit me--how am I going to raise a man? A man who treats women as equals, not as aliens. A man who can identify sexism, recognize his privilege, and speak up. A man who I would feel good about unleashing into the dating public. A man who will be respectful and thoughtful. I want to look at my future daughter/son-in-law and know that my son is a true partner and team member. How can I do this?

I try to model teamwork with his father. I think we do a pretty good job. Of equal importance, I plan to initiate lots of uncomfortable and embarrassing conversations with him. I will let him know that girls are not objects that he is entitled to just by being a "nice guy." I will teach him the importance of safe sex, of taking responsibility of his portion of birth control, and that it is always safe to come to me if it fails. I will point out casual misogyny, no matter who says it. I will educate him on the contributions women have made in history. I will teach him that because he knows better, he has a responsibility to do better. But will it be enough?

What advice do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment