Friday, May 27, 2011

Skorting the issue

I love this story about a DC high school girls track team that changed uniforms this year to have skorts. The skorts are specially designed for the team, with biker shorts underneath a lycra skirt. The coach, Marvin Parker, said he came up with the idea after watching old tennis matches and watching a girl intentionally false start so she wouldn't have to bend down on the starting blocks in front of boys who were making crude comments.




(Wavelength Skort at Athleta)


Two things strike me about this. First, how awful is it to be objectified while competing? Track meets, like swim meets, are a lot of waiting around to compete for a few short moments. To have months of practice and preparation thrown out the window because you are being harassed about what can and can't be seen through your uniform is sad and appalling. Kudos to the coach who recognized a problem and gave his girls a little more modesty and a lot more confidence without sacrificing performance.

Second, skorts for exercise are an immensely practical idea. As a runner, I've often struggled with finding clothes that adequately cover my body but also don't restrict movement. There is an added bonus if I look cute too! I think I'll be purchasing a running skort today for my weekend runs.

1 comment:

  1. Because I know you care, I did buy a running skort! I love it! Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete