In college, I had a professor who referred to our evolutionary urge to reproduce, even unconsciously, as "sneaky genes." These sneaky genes were the ones that make us more sexually active at different parts of our menstrual cycle. Turns out that's not all our sneaky genes do to encourage procreation.
Women smell better when ovulating
We dress nicer when ovulating
Our menz are more jealous when we're ovulating
We like a different type of man
Now, I believe that our lady hormones do crazy stuff to our bodies all the time. Having lived through adolescence and pregnancy (both which have the tendency to make the most logical woman question her sanity), I can attest how quickly I can go from normal to "the Hulk." So, it is not so hard to believe that our "sneaky genes" could be trying to get the better of us. But, I have a hard time believing that any of this stuff makes a significant difference in the frequency of sexytime--especially enough so that one could argue that the human race evolved for women to smell slightly nicer during ovulation. If that is the argument, then why didn't men evolve to bring home flowers for no reason around ovulation? Or do more housework? Don't men have "sneaky genes" too?

I don't think men have sneaky ANYTHING.
ReplyDelete