First thing I noticed: You can tell non-lawyers from lawyers, and you can tell new lawyers from seasoned lawyers. It's a given that ALL of the lawyers will be in suits. It's just NOT APPROPRIATE to show up in Federal court in something less than formal business attire if you are a lawyer. That whole "officer of the court" thing and all. You can tell the newbies because -- if they're women, they're wearing pantyhose and sensible black pumps, and let's be honest, probably a black interview suit -- and if they're men, they are carrying a very non-beat-up attache case and probably that same black interview suit. I like to think I was a bit of an enigma -- yes, I had on a black suit (because dove gray linen didn't strike me as quite appropriate, and those are my only two options that fit right now), but I also had on silver and black metallic flats, a kelly green cotton tank, and most importantly, pants instead of a skirt. (You're crazy if you think I'm wearing hose in this weather.) And my male cohort was wearing a dark grey suit, a flashy green striped tie, and carried only his keys.
Anyway, what we were wearing is not important. The point is, you can quickly tell who's who.
The second thing I noticed: Non-lawyers.... Show some respect for the judiciary! Each outfit I saw was worse than the next. Now, setting aside the fact that I didn't particularly care for the outfits themselves, I'm talking from here on out solely about the appropriateness of the attire for a FEDERAL COURTHOUSE, where, presumably either you or your family member is accused of committing a FEDERAL CRIME.
Here's a sampling of what I saw:
- cotton leggings with an oversized t-shirt
- black pants with lucite heels (Mags' refresher on lucite heels here)
- skinny jeans and a cropped t-shirt (bare stomach! in OPEN COURT!!!)
- flip-flops
- cotton leggings with an undersized shirt
- and so on....
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about K. Out here in Phoenix, the dress code is remarkably casual due to the heat and people tend to push the envelope. But common sense should prevail anytime anyone is going to court. Wouldn't you want to make a good impression on the judge and/or jury and look presentable?
ReplyDeleteIn our Superior Court you might sometimes see an attorney dress in a more casual manner, but NEVER in Federal Court.
Marc used to instruct his clients on dress before their court date. Why don't all attorneys do that? It's a reflection on them, also. If I were an attorney, I would be so embarrassed if a judge admonished my client for dressing inappropriately. I once saw a woman with a tube top, shorts and flip flops showed up in civil court. The judge sent her away . . .