Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer Dress Code

Now that we are into June and the weather is sweltering, I have started to notice that my wardrobe has gotten a little less formal. Here at Pencil Skirts and Pinot Noir, we've been getting a lot of questions about the summer dress code for the office. We will be addressing many of the questions in the comments, but I'll tackle the three most frequent questions in the main post.
Now, take our opinions with a grain of salt. We all work in conservative fields (law, consulting) in DC, which tends to be more formal than other areas. With that, let's get started!


Can I wear flip flops/sandals in the office?

No.
I consider any shoe with anything between the toes as a flip flop. Even if it is a very nice flip flop with a heel and decoration made out of leather, it is inappropriate for the office and I will stare at your feet in disgust.
Sandals are shoes where all the toes are visible. Strappy sandals are too sexy for the office, and pretty much all other sandals are too hippie. Go sell your sexy granola somewhere else.
Peep toe (where only a portion of some toes are visible) are acceptable, as are mules and slingbacks if your piggies need a breeze in the hot weather.


How short is too short when it comes to skirts and dresses?

I personally don't like to show much leg in the office. I look for skirts that are knee length, perhaps an inch above. However, skirts this length are increasingly difficult to find at my staple stores. Shop with extreme caution--sit down in the dressing room, walk across the store if you must. The rule of thumb is that you don't want your skirt to be mid-thigh or higher when sitting down. You really don't want to have buyer's remorse as you are tugging your skirt down at next week's status meeting.


I've got a cute sleeveless blouse. Will I look like a floozy at work?

I'm afraid so. You need a cardigan that will cover you at your desk, but you can take off at lunch or after 5pm. Cap sleeves and short sleeves are OK for the office. But please don't walk around your office looking like you are on your way to a picnic or summer concert.

7 comments:

  1. I would reiterate a couple of Idgie's point and add my own.
    Reiterations
    1) DC IS very conservative versus other places so that keep that grain of salt Idgie's mentioned handy.
    2) I agree that the short skirts have gotten out of hand. My mother went to catholic school growing up, and your skirt had to touch the floor when you knelt down. Now while I don't ascribe to this myself, I think Idgie is right to say that skirts shouldn't be much above the knee. My only guess as to why people are wearing much too short skirts to work is that they are forgetting to perform the bend over and sit tests before they buy them. If the skirt is above your knee when standing, it will be mid-thigh when you sit down. If you are at all tempted to pull down on your skirt when you sit down, don't buy it to wear at work!

    See the next comment for my addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How tall can my high heels be for work?

    I know we ladies like to enhance our height, and why wouldn't we want to try to keep up with the boys, height-wise. Many studies have even said that it might mean more money for us (http://www.slate.com/id/2063439/).

    BUT...if you think your high heels would have looked appropriate on Julia Roberts in Pretty Women (maybe I need a more recent prostitute movie reference but I can't come up with one), do NOT wear them at work.

    To be more specific, I think the many strapped dominatrix-inspired heels are not appropriate (example here: http://www.zappos.com/product/7774426/color/291 ) nor are high heels that are super tall with tall platforms on the front (example: http://www.zappos.com/product/7807678/color/3).

    So just ask yourself, if someone just saw me from the ankles down would they ask what I cost for the evening, before you saunter out the door.

    This is not to say that you shouldn't have fun with your shoes. In conservative DC, it is still perfectly appropriate to spice up an outfit with some fun colored heels or flats (a pair I currently own here: http://www.zappos.com/nina-culver-apple-green-satin )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hot outside and freezing inside. How do I dress for this?

    Layer, layer, layer. Cardigans and scarves are your friends. I also sometimes keep a small blanket in my desk drawer for those days the AC is cranked up to high. My typical work outfit is a light blouse (either sleeveless or short sleeves) with a cardigan and a statement necklace. I alternate slacks and skirts throughout the week, depending on the temperature.
    And then I change into shorts and a t-shirt the second I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear cardigans every single day I go to work. I have a cardigan in every. single. color. under the rainbow, with the exception of red. (Yes, that includes orange.) I am TIRED of wearing cardigans! What else can I wear to work?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suit jackets??? Probably not the answer you were looking for though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about dressing up your cardigans with broaches or flower pins?

    Or wearing scarves or wraps?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have broaches and flower pins and scarves and statement necklaces galore. I think I'm just tired of cardigans! I did buy this, in "soft dove", to shake things up a bit:

    http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/summerlinen/PRDOVR~37880/37880.jsp

    ReplyDelete