Monday, June 6, 2011

When work and kid collide

Mini-K is my assistant for the day.  She fell down the stairs this morning -- as I was two steps behind her, and watched her tumble head-over-heels to the bottom, concluding with a giant THUNK as her little head hit the floor.  So I am monitoring for head injuries, a la Natasha Henstridge.

But I have a massive pile of work to do, too, and so Mini-K has been in the office with me since 8:15 this morning.  My big girl is doing great -- she's been coloring, playing with sticky notes, and generally taking my office apart.  We've been to Starbucks for chocolate milk and the kid-friendly "snack pack" (i.e. string cheese, sliced apples, raisins and organic animal crackers -- way to go, Starbucks!) and to the photocopier and back a few times.  We've conducted calls with a number of partners (many of whom were quite surprised to be addressed as "daddy??") and we've been doing some prior art reviews.  I am very amazed and proud of my little girl, who is now curled up in her stroller with mommy's shawl and McGruff the Crime Dog (a previous client!).

Normally I spend my daily blog time complaining about work.  However, today I am very, VERY grateful for my job.  I am grateful that I have my own office, where Mini-K holed up and watched Dora in peace.  I am grateful for the senior partner who came in while I was on a call and gave Mini-K a magnifying glass and a fish-shaped pen to entertain her.  I am grateful for the lovely assistant down the hall who came in while I was on another call and sat and colored with Mini-K until the call ended.  I am grateful for my fantastic assistant who is so gruff on the exterior, and yet Mini-K has been asking to go back all day and see Miss Vicki -- clearly Mini-K knows who is good on the inside.  I am even not mad today at one of my meangirl female bosses, who took one look at Mini-K and said, "oh, she is SO CUTE!"  (Well, she IS really cute, but still.)

Mini-K is sleeping peacefully and I am revising contracts.  I think this is about as good as a working mom could ask for.

1 comment:

  1. CORRECTION: Mr. K pointed I meant Natasha Richardson, not Henstridge. Consider me corrected.

    ReplyDelete