Since shopping is unlikely to pay my law school bills for the foreseeable future, I think I'll stick to being a legal eagle. But in the meantime, I thought I would share some of my handy shopping hints:
- Clothes, travel, etc.:
- Everyone should sign up for Ebates. It truly does pay to shop online! Every time you are about to purchase something online, go to Ebates first and search for the retailer you want to use. If it is a participating retailer, you could end up getting between 1% and 12% (and sometimes even 40%!) of the total value of your purchase credited back on your Ebates account. Once a quarter, Ebates cuts you a check -- that's right, cold, hard, cash. I've gotten over $500 (in five years). Ebates also collects retailers' coupon codes and current promotions and lists them for you. Awesomeness.
- Retail-Me-Not is another pretty awesome website. Sometimes Ebates doesn't have your specific retailer, or they won't have all of the coupon codes. Retail-Me-Not lists coupon codes and their probabilities of success.
- Groceries:
- Old fashion coupon clipping. Yes, it does work. Get the Sunday version of your local paper. The coupons in there more than cover the cost of the paper!
- Online grocery shopping. Usually there is a small fee for this service, but half the time you can find a promotion or coupon code to make the fee go away. They list all of the specials online so you can sit and browse what's on sale while simultaneously searching for a recipe to cook it in. Also, eliminates the "buying while hungry" problem.
- Kid stuff:
- Diapers.com is awesome -- free overnight shipping on orders over $50. Also, you get cash back through Ebates -- double bonus!
- Amazon Mom. This free program through Amazon.com gives you free Amazon Prime (free 2-day shipping, among other things) for kid-related purchases. Their prices are about the same as Diapers.com *until* you factor in the Subscribe & Save Program. If you are willing to sign up for regular purchases of an item (e.g. diapers, which I buy once per month) you can save 30% off the already-reduced Amazon price. That's a lot of free diapers!
- Big ticket items:
- Many large retailers, such as Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn, have free registry programs. The real bonus is their registry completion programs. Sign up, and you get 10% off of any item you put on your registry for 6 months following your event, spread over however many purchases it takes you. And don't forget -- registries aren't just for brides any more. You can have housewarming parties every 6 months!
- Speaking of housewarming, if you moved recently, don't forget to file that Change of Address notification with the USPS! Best Buy, Pier 1, and all sorts of random companies will send you coupons.
- Get your deal of the day at woot!
Trolling ebay for coupons is my secret. I never go to Lowes with less than 10% off
ReplyDeleteRe: online grocery shopping. I love Peapod.com! I love that they save the list of things you've bought before so you don't have to spend your time staring at a shelf of 28 types of peanut butter to find the one you usually buy. Their website is easy to use, and they have an iPhone application, which I've also used to compare ingredients with "normal" products that I want when I'm stuck shopping for them at Whole Foods instead. I think the delivery fee (if you can't find a coupon to cover it) is well worth the time saved in not trolling the grocery store and realizing in the chip aisle that you forgot something way back in the produce section. (Even after you've scheduled your delivery, you can add more items until like 12-24 hours before your scheduled time.) I think the only way Peapod could be better is if they started carrying wine and beer. Safeway's delivery service carries it, but last I looked (which was admittedly awhile ago), their website was terrible.
ReplyDeleteStrangely all this sort of ties into the domestic outsourcing discussion in another post. So apparently I also outsource my grocery shopping to a degree, which I've never thought about before.
I tell everyone to sign up for ebates, too. My post-Christmas check is always a nice pick-me-up.
ReplyDeleteOh, and try www.babysteals.com - it's like woot but for baby/maternity gear and clothing. I like it.