Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ask Idgie

Take charge advice for work and play -- Every Thursday

Idgie--

I am going to a baby shower this weekend and have no idea what to give the expectant mom. She is the first in my group of friends to have a kid and to be honest the whole thing freaks me out.

-- No baby here!

No baby--

Ahh, the baby shower boom. Just when you thought you got a breather from wedding showers, your friends start having kids. Get used to the stinky diaper game and tasting baby food, because even though this is your first shower, it likely won't be your last. As long as you aren't in high school, baby showers are nothing to get freaked out about. They are kinda cute in the torture-the-honored-but-make-up-for-it-with-gifts sort of way. When I give a baby gift for a first time mom, I try to give the most practical gift possible. New parents are legitimately in way over their heads and know it. Imagine how freaked out you are because your friends are entering a new life phase and what that means for you. Now imagine that times a million because they are responsible for keeping a helpless lump alive all while teaching it to walk, talk, and be a decent human being. So, now is not the time for whimsy. New parents need tools to help them on their journey. The tricky part is giving tools that they actually need instead of what they have been brainwashed by the infant industrial complex to think they need. Personally, I go poop-related. No matter if the baby is a boy or girl, early or late, big or tiny, that kid is going to crap. A lot. And most people do not have a changing pad or diaper genie prior to having a kid. If it is a shower for a second kid, I just buy diapers in different sizes. And if poop isn't your thing, a collection of nice board books are always a welcome gift.

Idgie


Hey Idg--

A coworker has awful coffee breath. I intentionally schedule meetings with him after lunch to avoid the stench. Any advice on how to handle this gracefully?

--Here's a mint, dude

Mint--

I have to say I am guilty of coffee breath myself. I try to follow my morning coffee with a mint and water, but sometimes things get hectic and I realize that I must reek like a Yeti at the weekly status meeting. I talked with a trainer who's livelihood depends on talking to people and this is her advice: "Keep a stash of mints at your desk. Also, gum and disposable tooth brushes. Offer mints often, even when their breath isn't bad. This raises the consciousness of freshness and keeps it at the forefront of their mind, likely leading to good habits. Adult learners need to come to conclusions on their own, so don't force the issue." I would like to add, if you are close to the person or are mentoring a junior resource, say something. No one likes to be left in the dark about hygiene issues.

Idgie


Have a question about work or play? Email askidgie@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment