Take charge advice for work and play every Thursday
Idg--
I got a text from a mystery number asking me for drinks. From the text, it is clear they know who I am and my rough geography. I'm pretty sure it is a good friend who just got a new phone, but I'm not sure. What should I do?
--Can you hear me now?
Hear--
I can give you advice on what NOT to do. Don't respond positively before you know who sent the text. Don't try to suss out the sender's identity through vague questions. Don't make solid plans and certainly don't go. In the unlikely event this isn't your good friend, you have set yourself up for a bad situation. Before you respond positively, just ask straight up "I don't have this number in my phone. Who is it?" A good friend will blow past this, especially if they have a new number. Anyone who is a jerk about this isn't someone you want to get drinks with anyway.
Idgie
Dear Idgie--
I forgot my lunch today. It was right next to my purse, which I also forgot. Any advice on how to score a meal for free?
Freeloader
Dear Free--
There are lots of ways to get a free lunch at the office. First, chat up the receptionist about any meetings in the buildings. Receptionists usually are the ones responsible for lunch orders, so she'll be in the know. If that doesn't yield any results, start a serious conversation with your boss right before s/he has a meeting. When they cut you off to get to their very important meeting, suggest that you continue the conversation over lunch. If your boss has lunch plans, scout the break room for left overs or "borrow" a lean cuisine from the bottom of the freezer. Or take the easy way out and ask a friend to cover you today and you'll get them back tomorrow.
Idgie
Have a question about work or play? Email askidgie@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment