Monday, June 6, 2011

Re: Female Bosses

For some reason I'm having trouble commenting on K's article about female bosses and I wanted to share a number of thoughts:

I have a problem with authority. Of any kind. So I've found I'm just as likely to dislike working under male bosses as female bosses. That being said, I think that bad female bosses tend to fall into one of two categories: 1) The Micromanager and 2) The Oversharer.

(Sidebar: Bad male bosses can also fall into these categories. I would also add to their list: The Sexual Harrasser, The Completely Underqualified/Good Ole Boy Network Beneficiary, The Neverwrong, and The Firefighter/Everything is an Emergency.)

The common thread I've noticed with bad female bosses is a strong undercurrent of insecurity. They are so scared of failure or of you taking over their position that they undermine other women working with them. These women also ascribe to the "token" world view--ie, there can only be one woman director and if it is you that means it can't be her. Work is a zero sum game for these women and unfortunately this affects the working life of women around her. I've noticed this attitude in predominantly older women in male-dominated industries, but that doesn't mean she doesn't exist elsewhere.

The Oversharer also has insecurity, but she does not know where the line between work and personal is. She wants desperately for you to be her friend. Or at least you to like her. The biggest problem with the Oversharer is that when push comes to shove, she is looking out for herself. Not only is it uncomfortable to hear about her marital troubles on a daily basis, she will not hesitate to throw you under the bus to save herself. The Oversharer is usually in a precarious position with her superiors (they don't like hearing about last weekend's bender either), so whatever she has gathered about you is fair game to make herself look good.

But enough about bad bosses--what makes a good boss? K--what qualities do you look for in a partner to make you more inclined to work hard for them?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't any experience with the Oversharer, and for that I am thankful.

    However, one of my meangirl bosses is most DEFINITELY a Firefighter. Everything is an emergency, especially at 4am. (What do you mean, you don't check your BlackBerry at 4am? You're supposed to sleep with it! That's why we pay for it!) It drives me CRAZY.

    The best quality in a boss, I've found, is an ability to prioritize. Separate what's truly an emergency, and what is just your average "can you please do this, you are my [lawyer/accountant/consultant]" request. Everything else seems to trickle down from their -- their daily attitude, their stress levels, their ability to be flexible, whatever. I don't think you do a client a disservice when they ask if you can do something by "next week" and you get it to them next Monday. I just think you're a pain in the ass when you decide we have to get it to them by the previous Thursday to impress them -- or maybe at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon just to show them that you are so dedicated to their cause that you've been working on the weekend. I understand there are times and places for this -- but it's not every weekend, every night, every holiday. There is simply no need. I don't understand if it's borne of insecurity or boredom or lack of familial relationships or WHAT, but it kills me.

    So prioritize, people. Nobody reclines in their deathbed trying to get one more call done before they leave for those pearly gates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NB -- my biggest pet peeve is the incorrect use of their/there, and there I've done it above. Blogger won't let me fix it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete