Friday, June 3, 2011

Recipe -- Kale chips

We are members of a Community Sponsored Agriculture (CSA) co-op and yesterday I got this season's first box.  As always, the first box of the season comes with about 5lbs of kale.  In years past I have broiled pork chops and served them with a tomato/caper/kale sauce with a side of couscous.  It's a lovely dish, but I wasn't in the mood for it last night.  Since my kids love chips -- and HATE vegetables -- I thought I'd try a sneak attack and make kale chips.

Sneak attack failed -- 2-year-olds are not to be fooled.  Mini-K took one look at that kale chip, said, "that is NOT A CHIP, MOMMY!" and started to cry, so then I felt obliged to give her a plain old tortilla chip.  Mini-K: 1; Mom: 0.  Sigh.

However, the adults agreed they were pretty tasty.  The first one tasted a little odd, but then we couldn't stop eating them.  Kale is chock-full of vitamins, including calcium and iron, so you can't argue against them health-wise.  So if you got a big box of kale and are looking for something to do with it, here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients
Kale
Olive oil
Sea salt

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Wash kale.  Cut leaves off of heavy stems and rip into reasonably-chip-sized pieces.
  3. Get all of the excess water off of the kale.  Use a salad spinner if you have one; shake hard if you don't.
  4. Toss the kale in olive oil and place on a baking tray.  Sprinkle sea salt over the kale.
  5. Roast 10-15 minutes, just until the leaves start to get crispy but before they turn black around the edges.
Enjoy!  Try to stop eating them.  It's harder than you think.  We ate the whole 5lbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment